Musing #37

January 5th, 2009


If a proctologist is a doctor who specialises in ailments of the of the anus, rectum, and sigmoid colon, what is the term for a doctor who will deal with anything but that?

11 Responses to “Musing #37”

  1. Rowan Manahanon 05 Jan 2009 at

    Not squeamish … Nobbyish?

    Or perhaps they could append their names with ABA – Anything But Arses?


  2. wychwoodon 05 Jan 2009 at

    The ….hmmm….buttologist…?

    Not that I think you were leading us into giving a particular answer or anything…but!;)

  3. Declan Chellaron 05 Jan 2009 at

    But surely a Buttologist is a Proctologist?
    I’m looking for a word for a doctor who deals with anything except proctology.

  4. Declan (especially grumpy) O'Sullivanon 06 Jan 2009 at

    a proctocomplementarist.

    still sounds good sent the second time !! and upon reflection has the potential to be misinterpreted as a synonym for a recto-osculationist by dyslexics and the mathematically challenged…I think :-)

  5. wychwoodon 06 Jan 2009 at

    Oh you were serious! :) I thought you were making a very elaborate joke.

    I wish you luck on this vocabularic quest, and should I unearth anything you will be the first to know! *salute*

  6. Declan Chellaron 06 Jan 2009 at

    I was making a very serious, elaborate joke. :)

  7. Kevinon 07 Jan 2009 at

    Is it an “antictologist”?

  8. Declan Chellaron 08 Jan 2009 at

    So pro-ctologist and anti-ctologist.
    I like your thinking, except the stem “procto” is essential to our new word become it comes from the Greek proktos, meaning “anus”.

  9. Declan Chellaron 08 Jan 2009 at

    I’m thinking the term we need is:
    Which comes from the Greek:
    pan = all
    ektos = except
    proktos = anus
    + logy (English, but from the Greek logos, meaning “word” or “thought”)

  10. Declan (especially grumpy) O'Sullivanon 08 Jan 2009 at


  11. Declan Chellaron 08 Jan 2009 at

    I am what I am.

Trackback URI | Comments RSS

Leave a Reply